Partners in Education
Simonds School & MainStreet BookEnds
The Gold Circle School Partnership Award is in recognition of
“exemplary collaborative efforts of school and community.”
Simonds Elementary School, in Warner, NH is pleased to announce recognition as a Gold Circle School. This Achievement Award was received on September 27, 2010. Simonds is one of 32 schools in the state of New Hampshire who have been acknowledged as having significant partnerships with community businesses that have improved education for our students.
MainStreet BookEnds and Simonds School have long been partners in education, since it opened its doors in October of 1998.
- BookEnds has sponsored many local authors and illustrators in past years who have visited the school to give talks, conduct workshops and share their books. Past authors have included Maxine Kumin and Steven Kellogg, and this year they will bring in David Elliott. All students have received autographed, hard copies of books for their very own. The funding for these events has been available through MainStreet Warner literacy grants by the Warner Fall Foliage Festival.
- Katharine Nevins and PTO volunteers set up book fairs in the school that makes excellent literature available to our school families at discounted rates. Teachers are able to select the books they think their students would like in advance, thus assuring a high quality book fair. 20% of proceeds are returned to the Simonds PTO to help fund further projects.
- The Jim Mitchell Local Hero Book Award is given to a 5th grade boy and girl at the annual Davis Awards each June. Students are selected who demonstrate through kindness what it means to be a good friend to others and a good school and town citizen. Jim Mitchell was a co-founder of MainStreet BookEnds who died in June of 2008.
- Simonds School named its library The Jim Mitchell Library with a plaque and dedication ceremony on October 25, 2008.
- Simonds School staff members read stories to children by the fireplace at MainStreet BookEnds every Wednesday night during the school year.
We look forward to a continuation of this beneficial partnership that provides our students with so many opportunities and memories.